Had tonsils out. Noticed heartburn, burping and belching after meals. Are they related?

Hi - my 9yo daughter had her tonsils out in July. Her recovery was quick, but I notice a LOT of heartburn now. Lots of burping and belching after meals, very dramatic. Any connection? Her diet is pretty much the same as it was before.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

There is no connection between the tonsillectomy and the problems that you have enumerated for your daughter. The heartburn, burping and belching can be due to either of the following:
1. Gastritis
2. Gall bladder disease
I suggest you consult your doctor and if required get an ultrasound examination of the upper abdomen done to assist in the diagnosis.

In the interim you can reduce fried and fatty food and observe. You can also give her antacids and observe for the next few days.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or to share any other information that you may like.

Wishing your daughter all the best...