Had tonsil infection and sore throat. Can smoking be done now?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
hi , i am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX i am from kolkata, i had tonsil infection as well as sore throat 3 months ago( july , 2013) , can i continue smoking occassionally or how many can i have per day..pleasae give me some idea , for your kind information i am non drinker and free from any other bad habits...
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 1 hour later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I shall try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me mention that smoking has no relation to tonsil directly. Your throat pain and irritation may be more when you smoke but apart from that there is no much direct relation.

Smoking also is not known to cause infection and is does not cause recurrent tonsillitis

Having mentioned the above you must remember that no doctor will ever allow you to smoke even one cigarette if you ask him for advice. My advice will also remain the same . We prohibit smoking because it is directly linked to various cancers of the throat and lung and can cause chronic respiratory difficulty in a conduction called the chronic obstructive lung disease.

Since you have been smoking for a while I would also understand though that you cannot stop the same suddenly. Hence you may try a gradual reduction in the number of cigarettes and finally stop it completely over a period of time which is completely dependent on your self control and the withdrawal symptoms that you may have.

If you need any help you can also try other measures such as nicotine patches and gum. You may seek counselling from the de addiction centres also if needed.

meanwhile do some relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, avoid spicy and oily food and do not strain while you speak

If you are getting recurrent throat infections then you may consider removal of tonsils in consultation with me or any other ENT doctor.

Hope your doubts are clearer and I will be more than happy to answer any more that you have

Dr Sriram Nathan