Ask a Dentist   »  

Had tmj. Getting body pain. Getting migraines and vision loss. What are the complications?

hi i had tmj for a number of years i also get widespread body pain i think it fibromyalgia i resorted to alcohol and canibis it made me paranoid and mirisble i had braces it made things worse it made my jaw stiff one day i streced it and it felt like something broke in 2 my just feels like it hangs there dislocated it causing servere migraines and my eyes hurt alot i have visual distubences blind spots lost my vision 3 times and my nerves have gone people report to the tmj asosiatoin say they have severe vision loss i feel hopless all the time i dont get on with my family anymore im the problem child i have hardly any friends no girlfriend it feels like everything is falling apart its gettin to the ponit where i feel so drained and went to die i dont see a future for me life is just emtpty the doctors arnt helping they wont give me anything for my nerves or anything to help me sleep i asked one for lyrica i herd it was aprove for fibromygia people say it helps there pain and helps with there sleep he wouldnt give me it it was a mistake me ever being born ive compleatly ruined everthing
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later

Thanks for choosing Health Care Magic

Pain is the most unwanted thing in this world. Those who have pain they can estimate the extent of suffering. Because pleasure is the principle that drive an individual in life. And both pleasure and pain is the creation of God.

It is needless to say, people who suffer from chronic pain are more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, substance abuse like alcohol or cannabis, suicide, family problems etc.

The above mentioned conditions are very well treatable to the extent of decreased suffering.

Moreover, presence of depression (which seems in your case to be) may cause poor response to treatment of medical condition ( as in your case TMJ, vision problem) and vice a versa.

Moreover antidepressants not only improves pain, decreases pain perception but also improves quality of life and suffering.

The treatment of chronic pain is medicines plus cognitive behavior therapy that can be imparted by a mental health professional.

Presence of migraine and history of cannabis intake, paranoia, impression that you were a difficult child and family problems indicates that you need a thorough psychiatric assessment that will definitely help.

In addition a consultation from a ophthalmologist ( for vision loss), neurologist ( for nerve problem), a pain clinic specialist and TMJ specialist, off and on will help you.

Regular follow-up rather than irregular follow up, adhering to the treatment network for sometime, what I feel should decrease your suffering.

Hope your queries are addressed and wish you a pain free life

I am available for further query