Had thyroidectomy, was diagnosed HBsAg positive, LFT values are normal. Done USG, HBeAg and HBDNA test, given Udiliv.

My wife aged 57 undergone total thyroidectomy two weeks back. She is OK now. But pre surgery test show that she is HBsAg positive LFT all values are normal. As a precaution the Surgeon referred her to a Gastroenterologist and he advised a USG,HBeAg test and HBDNA test. Results of both tests are awaited, but the USG reports mild coarse echotexture and he advised Udiliv 150 mg 1-0-1 daily for two weeks. By that time the results will come and further decide the treatment pattern
Sir, is this enough for the time being. Expecting your valuable suggestions XXXXXXX Kochi
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No other treatment required for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through your query and understand your concern.

1. Hepatitis B can affect the liver and on a long term can cause chronic liver disease. But up to than 97% of patients clear the infection and there won't be any clinical manifestations because of their immunity. So before treating specifically for Hepatitis B we need to recheck the HbsAg with ELISA method, HBeAg and HBDNA to know the status of the virus.

If the virus is not active and not causing any problem then your wife may not require any treatment for it. So without the report we can give symptomatic treatment and the hepato protective drugs like Udiliv (prescribed by your doctor). No other treatment required now.

For now she should follow few measures like
1. Avoid alcohol if taking
2. Healthy and balanced diet is required
3. Use condoms during sex to prevent transmission.
4. Avoid any OTC medicines and don't take any drug without your doctor's advice.

You also get checked for HBsAG once and if negative get vaccinated for it.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you wife faster recovery and good health.