Had tetanus shot and noticed numbness at injection site. No swelling or redness. Concerned

My 10 year old had a tetanus shot today in his right arm as part of his normal check up. He now has slight numbness in three of his fingers on his right hand. No other swelling or redness and the pain where the shot was done is very minor. I assume that the numbness is due to the needle hitting a nerve. Do I need to get him to a doctor tonight?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

One of the side-effects of a tetanus shot is numbness in the same arm or parts of the same arm, to which the shot was administered.

It is important to note that this side-effect does subside on its own in a few days. But, if any side-effects of the tetanus shot do not subside within 5 days, you will have to visit a doctor immediately.

In the meantime, local application of a warm compress, and massage of the arm should help in improving circulation.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.