Had tetanus shot. Diagnosed with hepatitis. Blood test done for AST or ALT. Is there any risks?

Jan 2013

Hi I recently went on a 3 day binge and developed hepatitis. my doctor took blood tests and one of the levels either ast or alt was around 600. he wants to do another blood test in 2 weeks. Have I done some serious damage? I've stopped drinking completely and I'm going to AA meeting. will my enzymes return to normal? I don't drink daily. usually was only on the weekends.
Hi 1 week prior I had to have a Tetanus shot. dont know if that made a difference?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Your LFT is definitely abnormal. SGOT (AST)/ SGPT (ALT) > 600 is abnormal and indicates effect on liver and may occur in other disease such as Enteric fever, gall stones, malaria, rising level in acute viral hepatitis, drug induced hepatitis, acute pancreatitis.
> 600 SGOT/ SGPT appears to be not related with your drinking habit.
You should go for ultrasound imaging/ CT scan if needed. come down but sometimes take 1-2 months.
You should go for thorough check up and try to find the cause.
As such there is no correlation between tetanus toxoid and hepatitis.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Had tetanus shot. Diagnosed with hepatitis. Blood test done for AST or ALT. Is there any risks? 9 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback. I slept a lot and was like in a light coma and got dehydrated really bad. Had to be taken to the clinic and put on a drip. the doctor said I had hepatitis (alcoholic). I lost memory for a time. I've never felt like that before. I almost died. Not sure if I was drugged. so you don't think binge drinking would have done that? increased to that level?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
You may have hepatic encephalopathy/ impending fulminant liver failure. You should recheck it with your treating physician. These are complication of liver disease.
Binge drinking at one day never causes liver problem until unless you have underlying liver disease already existing.
Dr.Mayank Bhargava