Had testosterone injection, sperm count was zero, smokes and drinks. Planning for ICSI instead of HCG. Is it better?

Radiologist
Question
My dh has 3 kids. Twins 2 years ago. He went on testosterone 2 years ago and sperm count went to zero. We are planning on doing icsi. Instead of getting on hcg and waiting for sperm to crank up( he doesn't like getting off testosterone) . Plus he doesn't want to quit drinking and smoking for 3 whole months. Is it possible to quit drinking and smoking for 30-45 days and stay on testosterone and retrieve sperm via testicular biopsy that would be viable for icsi? Thanks
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
It is definitely possible to quit smoking and drinking for 3 months. However it needs strong determination. It can be achieved by good counselling and medications. There are tablets available which can be consumed as alternative to smoking.
Testicular biopsy and ICSI is good option in this situation. You need to consult good counsellor and your gynaecologist for counselling.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had testosterone injection, sperm count was zero, smokes and drinks. Planning for ICSI instead of HCG. Is it better? 7 hours later
So he does not have to get off of testosterone if he is going to do testicular biopsy?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
There is no need to go off the testosterone for biopsy.

Regards.