Ask a Urologist   »  

Had terrible stomach and pelvic pain. Have blood in urine. On antibiotics. Reason for this pain?

Hi, I went to the doctors a few days ago with terrible stomach and pelvic pain which made it difficult to walk. I have also had bright red blood in urine. The doctor did a dipstick test and said that there was blood, protein and leukocytes in the urine sample so put me on antibiotics for a urine infection, he then sent the sample to be tested at the lab. However, I have just received the results and no infection was found, he just said there were some cells but didn't explain anything. Since then I am still getting stomach pains but they are not as bad and am still frequently going to the toilet alot. What do you think could be going on?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 26 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The symptoms you presented with permit the diagnosis of a urinary tract on purely clinical grounds. This would probably be a bladder infection (cystitis). Presence of leucocytes and lack of nitrites with dipstick were not in favour of a urinary tract too. Also, negative culture results could also be an indication of absence of urinary tract infection.
It would be worth knowing whether other signs and symptoms such as difficulties to hold urine, pain on urination were present or not. Its however, not possible to completely exclude a bacterial infection because, the causing bacteria could be slow growing bacteria of the HACEK group, the manner of collection and carrying of the procedure.
Other causes of blood in urine in this case would be very unlikely. When was your last menstrual period or were you on menses within th period you started experiencing these pains? If its the case, blood seen could be some false positive of blood coming from cervix or uterus but misinterpreted as coming from bladder. However, this is a rare condition but which must also be carefully considered. For during period, collection of urine samples especially should be done very skillfully, after careful cleaning of the vulva and pure collection of midstream urine.
If you were not on your period, clinical amelioration on the drugs prescribed by the physician could still be an indication of a urinary tract infection. I suggest you continue with the treatment regimen prescribed by your doctor and drink much fluids. Report any unusual symptoms if you notice any, and a clinical reevaluation at the end of the treatment could be very appropriate.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Wishing you good health,
Luchuo, MD.