Ask a Dentist   »  

Had teeth pulled on the bottom and jaw line is sore. What is it?

I had 3 teeth pulled on the bottom and while the site where they were pulled doesnt hurt my jaw line is really sore. Do you know what this could be?
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to nerve injury or can be dry socket

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

Multiple extraction may cause pain for 5-7 days. But the pain occurs at site of extraction & resolves with time due to healing by medication.

Since you mentioned the pain is over the jaw line and not at site of extraction, I feel this may be due to one of the 3 possible conditions:
- Traumatic extraction that could have resulted a nerve injury
- Dry socket in which blood clot dissolves after extraction
- Some remaining root in that region.

A detailed examination of the oral cavity and perhaps X-ray of the affected areas can help us isolate the cause. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would start you on pain killers like motrin 400mg twice daily after food to take care of the pain while planning further tests. You can talk to your doctor about it.

Do warm saline gargles 3-4 times a day.
Maintain good oral hygiene.

Hope I answered your query,

Take Care
Dr.Neha Sumra