Ask a Dentist   »  

Had teeth implants. Why have I started biting my tongue?

i had implants 3 years ago they went fine . but whwn they put the teeth on I started biting my mouthh and tongue. I stay upset all rhe time and the dentist drills away making it worse and the implants hurt. dwhat to do ? I need help my money is gone and no releif.

YYYY@YYYY Hope you have a answer. I am 89 and I am not ready to give up .thanks very much
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 4 hours later
Thank you for your query.
This is a common problem after teeth implants. There are some queries needed to be answered by you.

1) Are the implants well set in?
2) Are there sharp edges or mismatch in the implants?
3) Are there any ulcers on your tongue?
If there are not, you have to convince yourself in not biting the tongue. You can also try some local anesthetics to be applied on the area of the injury.

With practice, your problems will be over.

If the above problems are present, you need to see the dentist to correct them. Maintain good hygiene of the mouth regularly.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Had teeth implants. Why have I started biting my tongue? 1 hour later
I have all kinds of mouthwash. Ihavebeen seeing the dentist twice a month since the work was done also the. doctor who put th inplants in, will try what you say.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 16 minutes later

Thank you for your prompt response. Do try what I have asked you to do. Try to tell me what your dentist is advising you to do. If you have further problems, you are free to consult me. Have a speedy recovery.

Keep me posted.

Get well soon.