Had swollen vein on ankle and calf feels swollen and tight. Have itchy skin on lower legs. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I woke up this morning with a very swollen vein in my left ankle. My entire calf feels swollen and tight, and veins behind calf are swollen as well, not as much as the vein in the ankle. I have had very itchy skin on my lower legs off and on for the last couple of weeks.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are most likely caused by vein thrombosis. This condition can be caused by recent trauma, contraceptive pills, pregnancy, smoking or even a cancer somewhere in the body.
Due to blood clot in the vein, blood can not flow freely what results with an inflammation, swelling and pain. Swollen, hard and painful calf is a very characteristic symptom.
You can perform simple test. Please extend your leg in the knee and flex the foot down. If it gives pain radiating to the knee, veins thrombosis it is.

As this condition can lead to serious complication like lungs thrombosis, you should visit your doctor as soon as possible. Blood work and D-dimers should be checked at first. If elevated, Dopplers ultrasound of the veins should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.