Had swollen lip. Had allergic reaction and was given medicine. Have swelling, itching randomly on body. Suggest?

hi five years ago I woke up with a swollen lip.As the day went by my lip got bigger and moved rom one side to the other.I went to the doctor and was told that I had an allergic reaction and was given allergy meds.Since then,Ihave been swelling once or twice a month for at least three days.the swelling,itching and burning now happens at random any where on my body ,my arms,thighs,face,stomach.Can you help me?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later

This swelling of the lips due to allergic reaction is called Angioedema.

Itching in the face and other part of the body is due to Urticaria(Hives).

They are caused by certain triggers produced a skin reaction by stimulating the mast cells to release histamine and other chemicals in the bloodstream.

The causes are

1. urticaria

2. hereditary angioedema

3. Allergic to food and medications

4. Insect bite

5. Autoimmune diseases.

Most hives and angioedema clears on its own.
But treatment with medications with give relief against intense itching.

1. Antihistamines

2. Steroids.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.