Had swelling in tongue, now cheeks and lips are also swelling. Advise?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am a 72 year old male who has suffered from a swelling of the tongue for the last 6 years.,recently it is now
occuring in my cheeks and lips. I have been to many doctors and specialists but nobody has any answers, this is
now occuring twice a week or more I have adreenaline at home that I aminister to myself. I am at my wits end
as I am unable to lead a normal life. It does not appear to be food related. Can anyone help please.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 53 minutes later
Hi, thanks for the query.

I have gone through your problem. and as per my clinical experience I can reach your diagnosis. In medical terms it is know as oral sub mucosal fibrosis.

Swelling of tongue, pain and burning in mouth, inability to open mouth completely are the common symptoms.

Need not to worry much for this condition, first of all avoid any sort of tobacco intake (if you have)- like smoking and alcohol etc. Secondly take vitamin and mineral supplementation specially vitamin B12, it has a proven role in this disease and medicines are easily available.

Avoid spicy n oily stuffs. Try for next 15 days and I am sure you will appreciate the change.

Hope this answer will help you and I am ready for future follow ups.

Follow-up: Had swelling in tongue, now cheeks and lips are also swelling. Advise? 1 hour later
I have been told that my condition is called idiopathic angiodema and am taking
anti-hystamens (doxepin,ranitadine &citrazine) daily. this does not helped. Will
the B12 help in this case.
thank you for your help. I look forward to your reply.

kind regards,

Sorry I neglected to inform you that when I have an attack I inject myself with
0.5mls of adrenaline,sometimes I have to repeat the dose to have an effect. I have little or no pain with this complaint.

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 23 hours later
Hi, again.

Well, adrenaline constricts the blood vessels and decreases the symptoms. You can continue it with some anti inflammatory gel like mucopain. it will help.

Please consult an ENT surgeon of your place for your complete head and neck examination.