Had swelling around eyes and sinus pressure. Benedryl has helped but Feels sleepy. Suggest medication?

I have never had a problem with allergies but recently I've had swelling around my eyes and sinus pressure. Benedryl has helped but it makes me so sleepy I cannot take it at work. The allergies cause more swelling than congestion. Is there anything I can take that won't make me sleepy?
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 46 minutes later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you are 51 year old female , hypothyroid , but now you are having swelling in both the eyes ( periorbital edema ) with sinusitis ? , taking benadryl and getting relief , but getting drowsy due to benadryl.

Diphenhydramine , is antiHistamine , to treat allergies / congestion , it can be bought over the counter , should not be used more than 3-4 days consecutively , people use it for weeks , which is wrong.

Diphenhydramine is excessively sleepy drug , it does get your job done , but at the same time it changes your brain neurotransmitters , with slowness of every movement you make , when used for weeks consecutively.

You are hypothyroid , and in this disease you do get periorbital swelling , allergic sinusitis , atrophic rhinitis when your thyroxine dose is less .

Chronic allergic sinusitis is a known problem to occur in lot many patients who are hypothyroid , and getting the TSH below <2.3 , make the sinusitis go away , and in some patients in this chronic allergic rhinosinusitis occurs even with normal TSH.

So keeping a check on you TSH , is important when you have sinusitis ( allergic / non-allergic), with periorbital edema , not being resolved for a long time.

You can take non sedative , anti-histamine like LORATADINE , CETRAZINE , but for that you need to discuss this with your doctor( ENT specialist/internist) , and get the subscription , only then it can be solved.

Hope this helps.

Take care and feel free to ask any further questions.