Had surgical abortion after unprotected sex. Is it possible to get pregnant again after the procedure?

I am 20 yrs old and had a surgical abortion on Friday. The Tuesday before I had unprotected sex with my bf. I was 4-6 weeks along. I wanted to know if it were possible for me to get pregnant again after the procedure from the sexual encounter 2 1/2 to 3 days before? Can ovulation even occur within 3-4 days after termination of pregnancy? Or am I just being overly stressed? Thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 15 minutes later

You had unprotected sex 3 days prior to having an abortion. Your medical termination of pregnancy was done on Friday.

Male sperm does have the capacity to stay viable in the female body for 7 to 9 days, but since you were already pregnant means you were not ovulating. That means it is highly unlikely, since your body's hormonal changes do not tend to make this possible.

If you are already pregnant, you cannot conceive again.

It will take at least 2 weeks after termination of pregnancy for you to start ovulating. Ovulation will not occur after 3 to 4 days of termination. You should relax and not get tensed.

You are unlikely to be pregnant, if in doubt you can do a urine pregnancy test 1 week after your expected date if you missed your subsequent period.

You are getting unduly stressed, do not worry. You should use birth control pills or use condoms for protection.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.