Had surgical abortion. Blood test showed level of 9.67 hCG. Had sex. HCG still read high 6 weeks after a surgical abortion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
My girlfriend had a surgical abortion on August 13th and exactly 6 weeks later (septmber 24th) she had a blood test done which showed a level of 9.67 hCG. We waited 2 weeks to have sex again, always wearing a condom with only one ejaculation (pulled out of the vagina and in the condom) on September 8th. September 11th was the last time we had sex (wearing a condom and no ejaculation).

1) could her hCG still read that high 6 weeks after a surgical abortion?

2) could it read that low 13 days after the last time we had sex if she had become pregnant again?

My transaction # is HCM0000
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She is not pregnant as per beta hCG value.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First of all, protected sex by wearing condom and without proper ejaculation has extreme rare chance of pregnancy. So, you don't be worried about that.

Second thing, beta-hCG level takes few time (4 to 8 weeks) to come down at non-pregnant state (less than 5 mIU/ ml) following medical or surgical abortion. Above said value (9.67 mIU/ ml) is a very common finding after 6 weeks. It will be gradually diminishes over the time. Here, I suggest to repeat the blood test again after 2 weeks for evaluation.

Lastly, blood for beta-hCG level 9.67 mIU/ml is nothing significant for pregnancy. It will be more than 25 mIU/ml in case of positive pregnancy and gradually increased at 48 to 72 hrs interval. Therefore, it does not seem that she is pregnant again in my point of view.

Hope, above said information will be helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had surgical abortion. Blood test showed level of 9.67 hCG. Had sex. HCG still read high 6 weeks after a surgical abortion? 22 hours later
Can a surgical abortion also cause an abnormal pap test

Answered by Dr. S Patra 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ABNORMAL PAP TEST IS CAUSED BY HPV INFECTION.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

No, surgical abortion is not usually responsible for abnormal pap test. The main cause of abnormal Pap test results is infection with human papillomavirus (HPV). However, it needs to be confirmed by different HPV test. Kindly, consult with your healthcare provider.

Hope, I have clarified the things. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen