Had surgery to remove preauricular cyst. Now infected. Weeping blood and puss. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
Hi my son is 5 has had 2 previous surgeries to remove preauricular cyst te last time was December. It is now very much infected, he is on second lot if antibiotics and the area is now very messy, weeping blood and puss, constantly wet, should I try to dress this or leave it uncovered, I worry that when he is in bed it sticks to the pillow or his hair will stick to it. I have a picture if you would like me to send to you? Also any idea what the next course of action should be? Thank you very much for your time
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 7 hours later

Preauricular cyst or sinus are developmental abnormalities. There only treatment is SURGERY.
The cyst needs to be removed in total and no part should be left behind. I do not understand that if it was operated twice why he is having blood and pus. I think you must go back to the surgeon and discuss about the reasons for recurrence.

I advice you to continue the antibiotics for some time until you visit your doctor. Anti inflammatory and daily dressing of the wound by Betadine followed by Fucidin ointment application over it will help.

Mostly the organisms are Staphylococcus (it will be better if you get a pus culture and sensitivity test done to isolate the organisms and to understand the sensitive antibiotic). A repeat surgery may be needed when the wound becomes absolutely dry.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.