Had surgery to remove cyst. Noticed swelling in site and stitch protruding through incision line. Relief from pain?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Hi, I had surgery to remove some sort of lump/cyst from my XXXXXXX 4 weeks ago. The biopsy was negative (for anything cancerous, etc.) but didn't really indicate what the lump was or caused by (might have been an injury, clot, but seemed lymph related). Healing has been pretty slow due to location over XXXXXXX bone and my overall thinness. Early on the site swelled somewhat so I used over-the-counter compression socks to help reduce swelling. 2 days ago, the last of the scab fell off and I noticed a white stitch protruding thru the incision line (looked like it was an XXXXXXX stitch that got caught in the skin seam). I tried to pull it out with tweezers but it wouldn't budge and the slight tug caused it to leak a drop of puss. With the stitch protruding further, it seemed to get more irritated (and painful) when I wore the socks. Last night I removed sock and this morning the area was swelling - like a goose egg - extending beyond the borders of the incision. It is also pitting (edema) locally around the incision but not ankle or foot, etc. Today, I've not worn anything against the sore because it is uncomfortable and probably the most painful since the surgery. I have a doc appointment on Tuesday to check out the stitch, but I'm wondering if I may be getting an infection and whether I should wait until Tuesday to get it looked into. Icing helps reduce the swelling somewhat. Trying to elevate as much as possible but that doesn't seem to be doing much good. I took an Aleve for the pain.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 36 minutes later
thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX
Really sorry to hear about your condition.What is apparent from your post is that the wound may have developed some acute infection.If that's the case it needs to be addressed by opening the stitches and cleaning the collected purulent collection immediately. Is the surrounding skin red or warm and tender. That may be suggestive of acute inflammation. Kindly visit your surgeon urgently and inform about the condition. After opening the stitches and draining the collection some dressings are required and the culture of discharge should be sent and accordingly antibiotics may be started according to the sensitivity report.After that you may require secondary suturing if healing doesn't occur by dressings.The condition is very much treatable so kindly don't panic , just visit your surgeon immediately.Till then keep leg elevated with a pillow or two underneath.I hope I have been of some help and addressed to all your queries. If you have any more doubts
kindly post again.
God bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant Plastic & cosmetic surgeon
New Delhi, India
Follow-up: Had surgery to remove cyst. Noticed swelling in site and stitch protruding through incision line. Relief from pain? 11 minutes later
The surface wound has already healed over. This stitch is coming from the sub-dermal stitching. are you thinking that he will have to re-cut the skin and then remove the XXXXXXX stitching? Aren't there less invasive procedures like just pulling or cutting the XXXXXXX stitch and prescribing a course of antibiotics to deal with any underlying infection? My doctor doesn't have office hours on the weekend. Do you think I should call him as an "emergency"? Or go to a different Urgent Care clinic which is open during the weekend?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 11 minutes later
If you have any more doubts kindly post again. God blessDr Mayank Singh Consultant Plastic & cosmetic surgeon New Delhi, India XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query again.
If there is any inflammation signs ( tenderness, redness, warm skin) or actively draining purulent discharge then it should be addressed as an emergency. If not then you may not worry much about the stitch. It may be reactionary swelling around it with minimal infection if pus discharge is coming still. So incase inflammation is present you may visit any clinic urgently.I cannot guide you exactly till I see your involved part personally Or examine you personally. You may follow the guidelines given by me to move ahead for treatment .
God bless