Had surgery to fix anal fissure. Was bleeding and pussing post surgery. Suggest?

I am concerned about my husband and he refuses to go to a Dr. On April 23 he had surgery to fix anal fissure (took me 3 years of nagging him about it to get him to get it fixed).
The surgery site bleeds a little when he wipes with toilet paper. As well, the area smells like pus.
When he went for his surgery Followup the Dr said everything looked ok. It was bleeding and pussing then too.
I'm quite worried and frankly disgusted by it.
Do I have cause to nag him again to go back to the Dr or is this what to expect after surgery?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

I hope I can help you with your question.

This far out from the surgery he should not have drainage and or bleeding from the surgical site. It sounds to me like something is not right. I presume your husband had the surgery done by a colorectal surgeon? If not, they maybe he needs to see one. I would insist your husband have an evaluation regarding this as it does not in any way sound normal.

I hope this helps and answers your questions. Thank you.