Had surgery on spine, suffer from blood pressure. Take medication. Considering stomach reduction surgery. Suggest?

hi i am male 54yrs i weigh 266lbs and m 5ft 11'' i have had a tkr left knee and surgery on my spine associated with ruptured discs I also suffer from high blood pressure which i take medication for . I have been on a diet ever since i can remember I now fear that my weight is increasing which is not good for my knee or back or blood pressure .
I am considering some kind of stomach reduction surgery . Can you advise me if this would be a beneficial procedure

I also suffer from chronic RLS
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 5 hours later

For weight reduction we have 3 approach.
1. Diet and exercise.
2. Medication
3. Surgery.

Since you are considering surgery now, you have some options.

1. gastric bypass surgery
Roux-en-Y" gastric bypass surgery: This is most commonly done surgery and most part of the stomach is bypassed and a small stomach pouch is made. Since small pouch you will feel full with less quantity of food.
With this there will be bypass to a part of small intestine. The stomach pouch is disconnected from the first part of the small intestine and reconnects to jejunum. So there will be reduced calorie absorption.
The entire procedure can be done laproscopically. So hospital stay will be for 2 - 3 days.

2. Reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band: In this there will be a band around stomach which restrict its expansion and hence with less food you feel full.
3. removal of a portion of the stomach.

So I feel the first surgery is good for weight reduction. You can discuss with your surgeon again for the available options and can select the surgery that suits you the best.

Mean time you can adjust your calorie intake and have regular exercises like cycling, jogging, swimming or aerobics to reduce weight and adhere to all your medications. Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management.

Feel free to ask me if you have any further related queries and I will be glad to answer them..
Wish you good health. Take care.