Had surgery on metatarsal. Experiencing pain, burning and tingling sensation. Reason?

Nov 2013

Regarding recent binionectomy.12 days ago I had surgery on my right 5th metatarsal to correct a curved bone & dislocated 5th toe (both due to a tailors bunion & massive bursa growth). My surgeon is out of town, and I'm experiencing a lot of pain.. but it isn't at the surgical site. A wedge was cut from the 5th MT, and screws were used to realign/attach the corrected bone, and he lengthened the tendon of my 5th toe to correct the overlap caused by the bunion/bursa. But the pain begins in the middle of my arch, and radiates up to my 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes, to the base of the joints. It feels like a burning, tingling, tearing sensation, if that makes sense. Any flex upward of toes makes the pain increase, and nothing I do seems to help alleviate the pain. As I said, the surgical site itself doesn't hurt, and I'm not sure what could be causing this - but I'd rather not waste time going to the ER or clinic if it's normal with this sort of surgery. Are there any suggestions to help with my discomfort until my surgeon returns Tuesday? I'm 32, female, 170lbs. Non weight bearing, in a soft dressing around the foot - no cast or walking boot. I've kept it iced and elevated, and am taking cipro 500mg and hydrocodone 7.5 mg as directed.
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have read the detailed description of your pain, and I think it is neurological in origin.

The symptoms are arising due to the involvement of nerves in the feet, on the plantar aspect (soles). The nerves are most likley compressed, leading to neuropathic pain symptoms (pain along with burning, tingling, etc).

This is a minor issue and mostly responds to medications. Common medicines useful in this condition are pregabalin, gabapentin, etc.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist