Had surgery on elbow to remove bursa. Elbow filled with fluid like a ball. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had surgery on my elbow about 2 months ago to remove the bursa. The elbow continued to fill with fluid and drain for about 6 weeks until the incision completely closed. Now my elow is filled with fluid again and can't drain and its about the size of a tennis ball. It does not seem to want to be obsorbed into my body. What can be done now?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The fluid needs to be aspirated.

Detailed Answer:
The collection of fluid in the elbow is likely to be an inflammatory fluid or a reactive fluid collection. This needs to be removed with the help of a syringe as soon as it collects and get local steroid injected in the joint space to reduce the inflammation in the area.
Also, do avoid much movement of the elbow. Using a compression crepe bandage and regular hot fomentation will also help in reducing the repeat collection of the fluid.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.