Had surgery for torn biceps. Pain, swelling and numbness in hand. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
I did a complete tear on my bicep had surgery to repair it on Sept 3 ever since the surgery I have had lots of pain and swelling and numbness in my hand should I be worried
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Veins thrombosis and infection are possible.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Arm infection and veins thrombosis should be ruled out at first. Both condition give symptoms like pain, swelling, numbness, tender skin, tensed skin and hardness in the affected area.
If this two conditions will be ruled out, you can assume that such symptoms are due to recent trauma and it needs to take some time before they will go away.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have blood work, CRP level and Dopplers veins ultrasound of your arm.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had surgery for torn biceps. Pain, swelling and numbness in hand. Should I be worried? 11 minutes later
You mention tender skin it feels like I have a sun burn 24/7 and if anything touches it constant pain!! I am starting to sleep with my splint off because it keeps me up all night! I have discussed this with my doctor and he just tells me I'm fine but can't,give me any answers as to why all the different types of pain!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Well, this should force you to visit a surgeon or orthopedist. This really makes vein thrombosis possible. Without proper treatment it wont go away.
Generally after any surgery wound gives pain during 5-7 days. After that time, patient usually feels much better and every day makes symptoms less noticeable.

As your pain does not get better, this is another reason to have it checked.