Had surgery for gall bladder removal. Stitched uneven. Feels pain. Could this cause problem?

General Surgeon
I have a friend who had his gallbladder removed about 3 Weeks ago. A few days after that I rushed him to the emergency room because he was in a lot of pain. We found out he was leaking bile. He went into emergency surgery and ended up spending a week in the hospital. He has been out of the hospital for 10 days. During the surgery he had to be cut from his belly button all the way up his chest. When they stitched him up they did an uneven job. On side is raised more than the other. He complains that the pain he is feeling is directly on the parts of skin that was stitched uneven. Child this mean his stomach muscles are not even as well? Could this cause him problems? How long does this kind of procedure realistically take to heal? Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It happens sometimes while suturing abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Bile leak is a complication described after gall bladder removal.
It can be due to slippage of ligature of cystic duct or common bile duct injury.
His doctor has given a big incision to visualise the site clearly.
During closure,sometimes more tissue is taken on one side of the stitch than the other.It looks uneven.
It has no link to the weakness of abdominal muscles.
Pain is due to the long incision and passage of sutures through tough muscles of abdominal wall.
It will take 3-4 weeks after suture removal for complete healing.
Infection, Jaundice, Anaemia should not be there.They will delay the healing.
I prescribe antibiotic like Cefuroxime and Anti inflammatory tablets to my patients with similar complaints.
I would like to know the procedure done after bile leak.whether stent is placed in the common bile duct?
Hope i answered your query.
If you have any questions,i will clarify further.
Wish him speedy recovery
Follow-up: Had surgery for gall bladder removal. Stitched uneven. Feels pain. Could this cause problem? 5 hours later
He doesn't remember the name of the procedure performed. They didn't put a stint in. He did however, have 2 drain tubes. One was removed the day he was released from the hospital. The other removed 2 days later. They had him on antibiotics in the hospital but not since he has been home. They didn't give him any pain meds either. He was told to take Tylenol but no anti inflamitories because he also has paresis of the stomach. He does not have any follow up appointments scheduled. Should he make one if the pain continues? Thanks again for all of your help.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
He should definitely XXXXXXX the surgeon

Detailed Answer:
After a major surgery,it is mandatory to go and XXXXXXX the surgeon for follow up.
If he has stomach problems,better not to use an anti inflammatory medicine.
If the pain is severe,he has to take it with protection of stomach by Rabeprazole and a prokinetic tablet Itopride.I usually prescribe these medicines to my patients with similar complaints.
The pain will come down gradually.
Ask your friend to take frequent small feeds.
As the drains are removed,it shows that there is no bile leak after second procedure.
Hope i answered your query.
If there are no further questions,please rate the discussion.
Wish him speedy recovery