Had surgery for fractured tibia and fibula. Put on titanium rod. Stopped percocet and reduced hydromorphone. Having pain

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I'm 60 years old and had surgery for a fractured tibia and fibula 17 days ago, and they put in a titanium rod. My question is about the pain. I stopped the Percocet completely and have cut the hydromorphone from 8mg every six hours to 2mg every six hours, but find the pain very bad (tylenol and ibuprofen help.) I cut down the hydromorphone because it makes me feel very panicky. Can you tell me how long this pain is likely to go on? I'm considering upping the doe of hydromorphone again, but would hate to do that. Many thanks.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The pain syndrome can continue up to 6 weeks. However it should reduce with time. If it still continues to remain severe then it suggests some complications. The need for analgesia decreases by the third week of surgery.
I hope this answers your doubt.