Had surgery for blood clot in arm. Taking xarelto. Noticed blood in bowel movement. Related?

I had blood clots in my right arm and had surgery done last week. He put me on xarelto 20 mg daily. Today, I noticed blood in my bowel movement. I told my dr about this. He said stay on xarelto. I need your asnwer
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 14 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Blood is black in colour, if it is from higher up - altered during transit in the digestive tract.       The stool becomes sticky and tarry. That is an indication to stop immediately.

Blood - red in colour - is recent and from a near by source. XXXXXXX blood in bowel movement may be from haemorrhoids (piles), anal fissure, local injury and so on / it stops by itself and may not recur. DVT & PE are are of greater concern - that is why, your doctor has suggested to keep on.

Just observe. If there is bleeding again,see your doctor. If you feel giddy, pale or sweating, go to ER immediately

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck