Had sudden pain in jaw and shoulder with tightness in throat. Underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
Tonight I had a sudden pain in my jaw and right shoulder while bike riding. It was also accompanied by some tightness in my throat. The pain subsided over the next half hour. This has happened about once every week or two the past month. And was happening less frequently the past six months. Any ideas what it is? And should I wait to see my GP or should I go to the ER?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 22 hours later

I have gone through your problem, you have recurrent episodes of jaw and shoulder pain.

As per my clinical experience there are two common causes for this type of condition.
1. Cardiac related.
2. Simple mandible inflammation.

Since I am concerned about heart related events, my suggestion is to visit your doctor at the earliest. If you are currently asymptomatic, you need not visit the ER. However plan to consult a cardiologist at the earliest.

If you persist to have this pain, you can take a pain killer like motrin and visit the ER.

Hope this answer will help you out. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Had sudden pain in jaw and shoulder with tightness in throat. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
If it's an issue of mandible inflammation, could that be caused by wisdom teeth? Or simply grinding teeth? I will be seeing my GP soon though about this and will ask if any tests should be run on my heart.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later
Hi again, well this may be mandible problem or simple pharyngitis. But your symptoms also mimic like cardiac; so I do not suggest you to take the chance.

The best option is a proper cardiac checkup with some relevant investigations. Please consult some cardiologist. If every parameter comes within normal limits then just a simple muscle relaxant and antacid will work.