Had sudden lesion on calf, treated with peroxide and antibiotic but now itchy and red. Suggest?

Hi I had a sudden liesion on my right calf. It was about an inch long and 1/16 inch deep. I treated with peroxide and anti-biotic cream for over a month. It has healed about 80% but it is just got itchy and red where the band aid adhesive was sticking to on my skin. Anti-itch cream settles the itching down. The leision is almost healed over now, maybe taking another week or 2 to completely heal over. I never had this before and am concerned. It has been healing very slowly and am afraid it is some symptom of something else?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing Serious to deserve worrying

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

If the lesion has been responding to local antibiotics an creams as you describe, for sure it should not be something very serious. From what you describe, this should be a local skin infection certainly from a bacterial infection.

However, I think a clinical evaluation would be necessary. Based on the presentation of the lesions, treatment could be better adapted. It is known however that the commonest skin infections are caused by Staphylococcus spp and Streptococcus sp. Oral antibiotics based on the clinical exam could lead to faster healing.

In might be important to know the recent areas you visited, or any notion of trauma or skin lesion that could explain some contact with a probable infectious agent. However,a predisposing factor is not seen in some cases, and a physical examination by your physician to ascertain the nature of the lesion, possible infectious agent leads to prescription of broad spectrum antibiotics that are usually sufficient.

I suggest you consult your primary care physician for a complete clinical review. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Feel free asking further questions if need be.

Bain LE, MD
Follow-up: Had sudden lesion on calf, treated with peroxide and antibiotic but now itchy and red. Suggest? 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. I am glad the amost complete healing means it should not be anything too serious. You have put my mind at ease and I will follow up with my primary care physician. I do recall being on a trip just days to a week before the leision appeared. I remember at the time thinking the motel was unsanitary and always suspected that may have been the source. Most appreciated! XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I am happy you are happy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and the best of health.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD