Had sudden itch on calf, vein got swelled and painful. Now have bruise with white spot. Cause?

General Surgeon
Question
Had a sudden itch on my calf. The vien swelled up and was raised and painful. It went down about an hour later. Now a massive bruise with a white spot where the vien was
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Veins thrombosis or vein rupture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of it? Is the calf hard and tender? Does it hurt while walking? Have you had any varices in this area?
This can be a vein thrombosis or veins rupture.
Veins thrombosis gives hardness in the vein area, painful calf, redness. Pain can be more intense while walking.
Veins rupture usually gives a bruise in the affected area.
Please answer questions above so I can give more accurate answer.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had sudden itch on calf, vein got swelled and painful. Now have bruise with white spot. Cause? 6 minutes later
No pain since the vien went down. It hurt acutely to the touch when it happened 3 days ago. No pain or redness since then. Nothing major with vericose viens two three here and there. Taking zoloft. Smoke. Father history of st

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
This does not look bad. Its just a kind of bruise, most likely due to vein rupture. As there is no pain, I suggest you to leave it alone and just have it under observation. Such bruise can be present for a week and than disappear. So no reason to worry.

Hope this will help.
Regards.