Had successful mitral valve repair. Taking warfarin, digoxin and diabex. Reason for excessive thirst and frequent urination?

Question
I have just returned home from 10 days in hospital during which I had a succesful Mitral Valve Repair.
I am on Warfarin, Digoxin and Ramipril tablets and also taking Ferrous Sulphate Folic Acid. I am in the pre-diabetes range (glucose intolerant) and taking Diabex for that.
I seem thirst all the time and drining 3 times (it seems) what I usually do [water mainly and abit of lemonade].
I guess there is no harm in drinking a lot of water and peeing every hour, but I am curious what is causing this....or is it just "everything"?
XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Your diabetes may be responsible for your excessive thirst and frequent urination.

A diabetic may have polyuria, polydipsia and polyphagia. This means he will have excessive thirst, excessive urination and excessive appetite.

Is your diabetes under control?

What is your last blood sugar profile like?

How much is your water intake like for a 24hr period?

The other cause of excessive urination is prostatic enlargement.

Hope I answered your query.
Please feel free to ask further queries.
I will be more than happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Had successful mitral valve repair. Taking warfarin, digoxin and diabex. Reason for excessive thirst and frequent urination? 7 hours later
Dear Dr Murty
Thank you for this response to my quesry.

I have taken my blood sugar level twice today as follows:

6am 6 mmol

8pm 7.3 mmol

This makes me think I am within the correct tolerances.
Any further thoughts?
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

Are they fasting blood sugar levels or random blood sugar levels?

Another cause could be BPH i.e. prostatic enlargement. (in view of your age and increased frequency of urination)
A physical examination by your doctor will help to identify this.