Had subtotal hysterectomy with large incision. Had pushed heavy door. When can exercise be started?

Excellent
Question
Hi I had subtotal hysterectomy with an large incision 5 weeks ago. I pushed again a door which was a bit heavy and am a bit sore, will this hurt me. Also when can you lay on your stomach again, and do gentle exercises?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help!

Detailed Answer:
At 5 weeks out from a hysterectomy performed through an abdominal incision, the incision and the deeper layers should be almost completely healed. You should be able to do usual activities around the house but I would still minimize heavy lifting of anything above 25 pounds for a few more weeks. The event you described will not hurt the incision, but if you have pain persisting beyond a couple of days, it would be a good idea to run it by your doctor as well.

I sincerely hope that this helps to ease your mind!

Follow-up: Had subtotal hysterectomy with large incision. Had pushed heavy door. When can exercise be started? 2 minutes later
Can you lay on you stomach by now or when, and how long before you can safely fly on a airplane? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Forgot that part!

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it should be fine to lay on your stomach at this point. And you can fly on an airplane now - there is no reason why this would be a risk.

If the incision looks red or is draining, it might be a sign of an infection. If the skin looks well healed, then all of these acitivities should be fine and the discomfort should slowly go away over the next several days.

I hope that this helps!

Follow-up: Had subtotal hysterectomy with large incision. Had pushed heavy door. When can exercise be started? 3 days later
Hi, I pulled my stitches a couple of weeks ago after having a subtotal hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, with incision through the stomach. I picked something up which was not as heavy as 25lbs but my tummy has a slight pain around the belly button. Is that normal to be still sore and have occasional pain, what sort gentle exercises can I do after the 6 weeks, and should I start pelvic floor exercises? I took antibiotics up until the Saturday before last and been using Canasten, and am still sore in the vagina, is that normal although he did not touch that area?

Brief Answer:
Still not concerning...

Detailed Answer:
This is not unusual to have pain in the abdominal wall for weeks to months. This might be related to the delay in absorption of sutures and the sites where the knots are placed. This will all get better with time.

At 6 weeks, I would start with low-impact aerobic activity, like walking or swimming. If this goes well, then you can start working on your abdominal muscles with sit-ups, etc.

With regard to the vaginal pain, this might be related to an infection. Your risk for developing a vaginal infection is the antibiotics that you were on recently. This should be evaluated by your doctor, but the most common one is a yeast infection which you could start by self-treating over the counter.

And yes, you can start pelvic floor excercises without any harm at this point.