Had subacute thyroiditis. Taking no gluten from diet. Thyroid hasn't gotten hypo active yet?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
hi. I had subacute thyroiditis 2 years ago and it lasted for about 4 months. my family doctor used to think that my thyroid will get hypoactive in the future but since its been stable for 2 years he no longer thinks so. it's been maybe a year and half that I've almost taken gluten out of my diet. do you think this is the reason to why my thyroid hasn't gotten hypoactive yet? my family doctor doesn't know yet that I've taken gluten out of my diet.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 3 days later

Thanks for the query. My comments are as follows:

1. Subacute thyroiditis usually presents with symptom of hyperthyroidism that is followed by hypothyroidism which ultimately returns to normal thyroid function. The duration of each phase varies from person to person. No one can be sure of the duration of each phase and when exactly one phase ends and the next phase starts.

2. Without period and regular thyroid hormone testing it would be difficult to predict when you were on hypothyroid phase. Besides that, subclinical hypothyroidism may manifest with minimal symptoms. Hence it would be extremely difficult to know if you have had hypothyroidism with subclinical manifestation.

3. Moreover if you have not shown symptom of hypothyroidism so far, it is good. Please keep a watch on your weight as the moment you become hypothyroidism you will start gaining weight.

4. There is no link between gluten free diet and appearance of features of hypothyroidism.

Hope I was able to clarify your doubts. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Good luck to You.
From Dr Chowhan