Had stroke, loss of balance and coordination, high BP. Why was medication not given immediately?

Nov 2013

I had a stroke in Feb 1oth......that morning when I just got up I lost may balance and took me a few mins. to sit down... since it was early and sunday I called my doctors answering service and waited for them to call,,,,,it tooks them 30 to 40 mins to call me back and when they did I was unable to speak and my doctor said "U are not making any sense go to the ER" daughter was there and in two mins we were on our way to the ER that was only 10 mins a way.........I an estimating that it took about 52 mins by the time I was at the ER and my blood pressure was taken and it was high......they took me to a stretcher and then nothing.........we were at the ER until almost 3pm when my daughter had to go to work.....then a friend came and stayed with me......I lost time of time but it was some time in the evening that I was taken to a room.....what the real question is why didnt they give me medicine when I first got there in the morning......and would have the stroke been prevented
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Brain stroke is an emergency and every minute is important. Treatment with tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) within four and a half hours of onset of stroke is the best treatment for stroke, and prevents disability in a majority of stroke patients.

There are a few contraindications, when this thrombolysis therapy with tPA is avoided. What was the reason in your case can best be answered by your treating doctor. The common reasons for not giving this injection are bleeding in the brain, recent surgery, abnormal blood reports suggesting a higher risk of bleeding, high blood sugars, high blood pressure, seizures or fits at the onset of stroke, etc. I am sure if you discuss with your treating doctor, they would be able to explain the reason for not giving the injection.

Stroke can be prevented by keeping risk factors such as BP, sugar and cholesterol in control, and taking aspirin.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist