Had stroke few months back, experiencing missed heart beat. Will this cause blood clotting?

I have frequent occasions of missing heart beat, especially when I am at rest watching TV, and at night.
I have had stroke 30 months ago. Not noticed after activity.
My questions: Is it true that such condition is XXXXXXX and it could promote blood-clotting?
What do you suggest to correct it?
I am active, going on a treadmill for 30-40 minutes a day, and walking (limping) for 30-40 minutes a day.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 59 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Not all of them do / Certain types can cause slowing - especially when irregular and from atrium (upper chamber) / stagnation of blood movement in the heart, leading to clot formation.
A typical example is Atrial Fibrillation, causing clots (thrombus) in the atrium.
The trouble is dislodgement of the clot lodging elsewhere (Embolism) – which is more of a problem, than the arrhythmias itself. Stroke is one such

That you can do treadmill, excludes ischemia (reduced blood supply) as the cause

Missed heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG).
Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity like exercise, one needs Holter or event monitor. Holter records for days; Event monitor for weeks /
Holter records continuously / Event monitor only at certain times .

ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality) / clots.
Supervised TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow).
LABORATORY work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over-active) and so on. Your Internist shall suggest based on the situation.

Generally rhythm control is aimed / if not feasible, rate control is achieved / blood thinners are given to reduce the chance of clot.

If there are no clues and it is interfering with life style, advanced investigation may be done – Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. There are other advanced treatment modalities - ablation, which could be done during EPS. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications... This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST.
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Had stroke few months back, experiencing missed heart beat. Will this cause blood clotting? 17 hours later
Dear Doctor, my skipped beats do not interfere with my lifestyles, especially that I notice that they go away with activity. Last night I did feel any skipping. This morning, with the blood pressure monitor, I had many skips. I tried 10 minutes later, and I did not have skips.
I am only worried about getting blood clots.
I will certainly get an ECG, anyway.
But are there any oral supplements that could help getting rid of these annoying (and worrisome) skip beats?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 12 minutes later

Clots occur in Atrial fibrillation / not with simple missed beats, like this...

There are no specific supplements of proved value....

Beta-blockers are safe and most commonly used drug / see your doctor; start a small dose; step up if necessary

Follow-up: Had stroke few months back, experiencing missed heart beat. Will this cause blood clotting? 26 hours later
Dear Doctor,
I believe having one last follow up. Only a simple question.
Since I can tolerate regular missed beats, I am just worried about the Atria fibrillation.
Could you describe me what would be the symptoms of Atria Fibrillation?
Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
In A-fibrillation (Af) the beats are "irregularly irregular" -
Normally they are regular...
In missed beats, it is occasional irregularity (extra)
In A-fib, it is chaotic rhythm...
The feeling depends on individual sensitivity / some don't feel! / many feel fast and irregular beats /