Had stroke and bilateral blockage of the carotid arteries and has two stents. Taking Plavix. Could I travel by flight?

Psychiatrist
Question
I already submitted the query
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He should fly after at least 4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Leave flying for at least 4 weeks after stent placement and get his general medical fitness confirmed with his doctor. Wearing antiembolic stockings to prevent clots forming in your legs. During long journeys, he should take regular opportunities to walk and stretch his legs.

He must continue taking Plavix as per his doctor prescription.

Hope this helps,
Write back in case of any doubts,
Dr A Rao

Follow-up: Had stroke and bilateral blockage of the carotid arteries and has two stents. Taking Plavix. Could I travel by flight? 9 minutes later
One complicating factor we were going to send him to a rehab facility in BC to recover and detox from alcohol. his current living environment is not a healthy one. Could he go by train?
Do you know of any rehab facilities close to the border. We are in Ontario near Buffalo NY. We were going to send him to British Columbia. Sun Coast BC it is a fly in facility

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can travel by train

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Travel by car, bus, boat or train remove the altitude issues and offer more options for periodic movement. In a train, you may be able to walk in the aisle to reduce the risk of blood clots. Of course when you are traveling by car you have the opportunity to stop as necessary to stretch and move about.

Rehab options in BC, Canada can be searched for using the link below

http://www.canadadrugrehab.ca/BC/British-Columbia-Outpatient-Drug-Rehab-Programs.html

Hope this helps,
Write back in case of any doubts,
Dr A Rao