Had stroke. Done C1-C2 fusion on both arteries, occluding with screw. Advised for CT scan. What it can be?

I hada C1-C2 fusion on Feb 14th as a result the surgeons perforated both arteries (ventral). Occluding the left totally with the screw and partially occluding the right. I had a stroke as a result(PICA) and am due to see the surgeon in a few weeks time. He has toldme that he will do a CT scan but will not act on it as it is too XXXXXXX I am unsure whether I can nowfly or what happens if the screws are left. I was asenior sister in ITU and are aware that this should not be left. What are your thoughts.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

There are two issues.
One the spine surgery and the screws.
Two, involvement of the blood vessels due to the screws which has led to the stroke.

Now, the surgeons apprehension is quite understandable. There is a chance of very serious and life threatening arterial bleeding if the area of the surgery is touched again. Especially if the screws are removed.

What is required is that u must consult a good vascular surgeon and take an advice for the re-operation. Also, please understand that the neurological recovery might not occur even after the repeat surgery.

Hence, try not to touch it again. Else get a vascular surgeons opinion with MR Angiogram to plan any intervention.

Please get back if u need any further information.

Warm regards,

Dr Kiran