Had stomach virus. Having fluttering sensation under chest. What could it be?

Allergist and Immunologist
I have flutter under my left chest what could it be? Just started after having a stomach virus.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 8 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Acid reflux can cause a similar feeling with central chest pains and flutter like symptoms that increase after exercise, fizzy drinks, and lying down.
You can take acid lowering tablets such as ranitidine 150mg twice daily or rabeprazole 20mg or Pantoprazole 40mg first thing in the morning empty stomach for a week to see if the symptoms settle.

If this flutter happens post exercise, it will be a normal physiological response to the workout. Do not engage in vigorous gym work outs (three times a week for 2 hours each is enough).

If the flutter happens at rest, an ECG (heart tracing) will be required. Based on the rhythm, the Cardiologist may decide if a heart scan (like 2D-ECHO) is required or not.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.