Had stomach pain, radiated to back. Abdominal sonogram suggests Cholelithiasis & fatty infillitration of the liver. Any advice?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have never had any health problems in my life, last year I had a severe pain in my stomach, that radiated to the back that lasted a few hours, and went away without any other symptoms. It happened a few times, so I went to my doctor, and he sent me for a abdominal sonogram. Last night It happenened again, which I haven't had it in a while. I eat very healthy, no fried foods, I eat fish and skinlessless chic hen, hardly any red meat, maybe once a month. I eat fresh vegetables, frui, no white bread, flour only whole grain. Last night I had fresh salmon, fresh asparagus & salad, after 3 hours I got that pain. I have an appointment with my doctor next Monday, I exercise 30 minutes a day, I keep my weight at 111 lbs, and I'm 5 feet tall. My cholesterol is very good, especially my HDL is 78, my LDL is 100, and triglyserides is 55. My abdominal sonogram showed multiple calcified gallstones, within the non distended gallbladder. The common bile duct is normal in caliber measuring 6 mm. the pancreas and kidneys are normal. the abdominal aorta is normal. The findings were Cholelithiasis & fatty infilliltration of the liver. I can't understand that, because I don't eat any fried foods. As I said I eat a very healthy diet, and I always did that way too. It is making me very upset.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 27 minutes later

Thanks for writing in

It is good to know that you are that health conscious at this age and even go for 30 min exercise daily

The pain you had could be due to gastritis, considering the fact that pain starts two to three hours after meals

There is no reason to be worried about

Yet at your age I would really like to rule out any cardiac involvement even though the lipid profile is very good

The gall stones are silent and there is no inflammation of gall bladder so it should not be a concern

Fatty liver infiltration can be metabolic and alcoholic, though there are many other cause for the same, so do not get upset rule out the cause and it is reversible

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Had stomach pain, radiated to back. Abdominal sonogram suggests Cholelithiasis & fatty infillitration of the liver. Any advice? 14 minutes later
Thankyou doctor for answering my question. When my previous doctor got my report of the sonogram, he told me not to worry also. Now I am seeing another doctor, because my previous one retired. When I got the pain in my stomach, it happened when I was watching television and lying on my back and that's when it had started. I didn't want to tell my husband, because he keeps on telling me that I eat to fast. I took some organic XXXXXXX juice and it subsided. Today, I am feeling great, as though nothing happened, but I am still a basket case over it. I was saying I hope it's not a heart attack, because women's heart attacks are different than men. I was able to breath & I didn't sweat. Doctor, although I am 72, I am a young one, I don't look or feel my age. In fact, I was taken for 50 years old, that's the age of my daughter. (Love the compliment). Anyway doctor, you made me feel much better mentally, and I thank you for answering my question. I will keep you informed when I see my doctor on Monday, 4/8/2013.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Good to know you feeling better and healthy

With the lifestyle you have mentioned I am sure Yes you would definitely be taken for an age half of yours and this compliment of a healthy body and healthy mind is the best anyone can dream of

Yes if the pain persists I would really want to rule out cardiac origin as mentioned in my previous reply

Do write back when you get the final clinical impression
Wishing you a very youthful life ahead
Follow-up: Had stomach pain, radiated to back. Abdominal sonogram suggests Cholelithiasis & fatty infillitration of the liver. Any advice? 44 minutes later
Doctor, I will write back when I get all my results from my doctor. In fact I have an identical twins sister, and today she went to her doctor, and she got good results, with her cholesterol, heart, etc. We both have the same DNAs so I should be like her. In fact we both have glaucoma, & we both had a squamous skin cancer removed from us with MOHS, everything was clear. In my younger days, we took a lot of sun. As far as the pain in my stomach, I ate a very healthy breakfast & lunch, and no discomfort in my stomach.

Doctor, I thank you so much for being so positive with me, that my mind is at least clear, without me always thinking of the worst.

Sincerely, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 minutes later

Thanks for the nice words
My purpose is solved if I have relieved at least one person of his or her agony a day
Will await your followup
Have a very healthy youthful life ahead