Had stomach pain. Feel something stuck in esophagus. IS it related to cramps?

Sep 2013

About a week and a half ago I had intense stomach pains for several hours, I think it was some kind of virus. It took several days to finally feel better (my stomach muscles were very sore from the crapming), but every since i have developed a feeling like something is stuck in the very bottom of my esophagus, kind of in the center of my neck. It's not difficult to swallow or anything, just feels like something is "there". When I wake up it isn't that prominent but get progressively more prominent over the course of the day. Sorry didn't finish the question. Wondering if this could be related, and how long I should wait before seeing someone. It kind of feels like it is "tight" at the bottom of my esophagus.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stomach pain. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I would come up with these possibilities for this pain in stomach from last 7 days with tightness in epigastrium region, these includes. 1 The first possibility is of gastritis or hyper acidity ( as this is acute in nature).Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper G I endoscopy .Following measures will help in this type of cases. Try raising the head of your bed about 4 inches with blocks.It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for 2 hours before you lie down.To help control stomach acid one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.Also take some antacid ( better if oxetacian in it) but if symptoms are severe ( as it seems in your case) then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors. As you mentioned in the query that something is stuck in the neck , this may be due to esophagitis ( a part of gastritis).A sensation develops that something is there ,but not any difficulty in swallowing . 2 The next possibility may be hypertension , diagnosis can be confirmed by physical examination .As in high blood pressure there develops fullness in epigastrium and pain at the end of esophagus ( as you are having).At the age of 38 years this is common. 3 The next possibility may be due to pancreatitis as this pain worse when bending over or sitting.Pancretic enzyme like serum amylase & lipase should be measured to rule out any pancreatic cause. In my opinion consult a physician and get his opinion as physical as well clinical examination is important in this case. Hope this information will be helpful for you. Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck. Dr. HET