Had stomach flu, vomiting and diarrhea. Should I be concerned?

I've had the stomach flu for 6 days now. Vomiting and diarrhea. I haven't vomited in a couple of days, but have had diarrhea every day with a really upset stomach. Now my stools are black. I didn't know if I should be concerned?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Guru 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you need to be concerned Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Yes, you need to be concerned. Usually, blood when mixed with some intestinal secretions forms black colored stool. The causes of black colored stool include gastrointestinal bleeding(bleeding from bowel or gut wall) which inturn is by conditions like peptic ulcer etc. These should be ruled out immediately. Based on physical examination findings, you may need investigations like stool for occult blood, endoscopy, complete blood picture etc. I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist ASAP. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!