Had steroid spinal injection and bad headache. Patching the hole with blood. Suggest the medication to relive head pain?

Excellent

Spine Surgeon
Question
Just had a steroid spinal injection Tuesday of this week I have the bad headache, aware of the procedure about patching the hole with blood taken from somewhere else on the body to patch the hole, is there anything I can do at home to relieve the headache pain?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
was there a dural leak?

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. What was the injection for? is it into spinal canal? epidural block? Accidental dural puncture during the injection can cause positional headache due to leakage of the CSF.
Did you get the headache whenever you become upright? In such cases 3-5 days of bed rest is advisable and by that time the puncture heals and usually headache will go away. Also if it is severe you can try acetazolamide medicine for one week and if possible keep head end low of the bed. Thanks.

Follow-up: Had steroid spinal injection and bad headache. Patching the hole with blood. Suggest the medication to relive head pain? 1 hour later
Dear Dr, Thank you so much, the injection was done by a pain management Dr., for relief in my lower back and both legs, have been trying to avoid back surgery. This makes me feel better, again Thank You.
Yes, a dural leak.

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be it was epidural block

Detailed Answer:
Please do not worry. the problem will resolve in coming few days. Try to take complete rest for 3-5 days. Thanks.

Follow-up: Had steroid spinal injection and bad headache. Patching the hole with blood. Suggest the medication to relive head pain? 35 hours later
Good evening, I am going to have back surgery, the Dr. wants me to have a myelogram, I take Elavil, they want me to stop taking it, 48 hours before the test. How does Elavil, interfere with this test?

Is there another test other than a myelogram that can be done? I had this test before and I do not like it, it was miserable, I had the bad headaches,,,etc...

Please advise? Regards, XXXXXXX XXXX

Brief Answer:
myelogram involves dural puncture

Detailed Answer:
Myelogram is useful investigation which tells us exact level of stenosis and it is very helpful in deciding the levels of decompression. This involves dural puncture and thats why you get the positional headache. I would suggest to take absolute rest for 72 hrs after procedure to prevent getting the headaches.
Elavil is antidepressants and is usually avoided to prevent possible interaction with the XXXXXXX injection. Its more for safety purpose.
I would suggest to consider doing that investigation and take bed rest for 2-3 days and everything will be fine. Thanks.