Had steroid injection in hip for bronchitis. Started severe pain in back and legs. What to do?

Neurologist, Surgical
Yes please, I had a steroid injection in my hip yesterday for bronchitis and ever since have had unbearable pain in my low back and back of legs. Nothing helps. Take pain meds for my back anyway and that's not even helping. It's horrible! Don't know what to do? Also how long will this last? I can't stand it. I have taken ibuprophens used ice packs tried to lay down.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 8 hours later
Dear Friend,

Yes, injection in gluteal region can cause irritation and sometimes even injury to sciatic pain which can be very severe. For pain relief you can try stronger analgesics or even gabapentins, at times oral steroids are required for severe pain.

For confirmation of nerve injury, NERVE CONDUCTION VELOCITY test can be done.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Regards Dr Vineet