Had stent procedures. Is it safe to take alcohol?

Is it XXXXXXX to drink after having two stent procedures and another procedure scheduled within the next two weeks? The amount of alcohol averages 3 beers daily and 1/2-1 pint of vodka daily.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 hours later

Your concerns are very much valid.

Your husband is 65, has had 2 stent procedures and definitely has a high alcohol intake.

To answer your question directly,YES.Alcohol has a direct toxic effect on the heart and is very injurious to health, especially to someone with the medical history like that of your husband. The amount of alcohol that your husband drinks is definitely over the limit, so to say and indeed very XXXXXXX to his health.

To explain some more in detail, Your husband is on various types of drugs to lower blood pressure, cholesterol, triglyecerides and anti plateltes drugs. All the drugs that he has been prescribe are designed to lower the risk factors to the heart. Alcohol is a big risk factor in heart disease as heavy drinking causes a direct toxic effect on the heart, increases triglycerides and cholesterol, blood pressure and can lead to stroke, heart attack, liver and heart failure. These numerous drugs dont have any effect on your husband;s health since the risk factor called alcohol is still there. There is no time for the drugs to act. After 2 stent procedures, his heart has already been damaged. While he drinks,the damage cannot be controlled. You need to stop him completely, from drinking alcohol. As age increases the body doesn't respond well to such toxicity as it would have while he was younger. The tolerance level decreases and there is more damage than can be compensated.
You need to make him understand this otherwise he is at risk of another heart attack. Its imperative that he understand the situation. Enroll him into a program if necessary and talk to his doctors for advice and help.

I hope that I was able to address your concerns. If you need any more information, please contact me any time.

Follow-up: Had stent procedures. Is it safe to take alcohol? 24 hours later
Fortunately, for my husband, he has not had a heart attack yet. He sees a cardiologist every 6 months. Is there any amount of alcohol consumption level acceptable for his condition?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 hours later

There may not be perfect and specific answer for this with any physician. However I prefer to answer with what is documented in American Heart Association websites.

Alcoholic drinks come in multiple forms and contain differing amounts of ethanol in each; one portion of alcohol is defined as approximately 10 to 15 grams of ethanol, which can be found in:

One 12 ounce bottle or can of beer
One 5 ounce serving of wine
One shot (1.5 ounces) of 80-proof distilled spirits

In general, studies that evaluate the health effects of alcohol designate different drinking patterns (eg, heavy, moderate, or light drinking) based upon the number of drinks consumed per day or week. Moderate drinking is generally defined as 3 to 6 servings of alcohol per week. This is approved by various study methods to prevent heart attack or stroke.

Hope it helps.

DISCLAIMER: This advice is based upon history as provided by the patient as there is no Physician – Patient relationship established. The patient has not been examined per se. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes. Please see a local doctor before acting upon the advice.