Had stent placed in stomach after a stroke and brain surgery. Reason for swelling on leg?

I had a stent placed in a vein through the groin into the tummy about 15 years ago after a stroke and during brain surgery.
Ever since my legs have been swelling up. The surgeon is now thinking about removing this. May I know what's entailed in this procedure?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
I want to know few things before further discussion. If possible please let me know.

1. Whether it was VP shunt or intravenous stent?
2. Did you had deep vein thrombosis at that time?
3. What was cause for persistent swelling on limbs? What's surgeon opinion?

Looking forward for your response.

Follow-up: Had stent placed in stomach after a stroke and brain surgery. Reason for swelling on leg? 16 hours later
Thank for your reply.

Taking your questions in the order you ask:

1. I think it was an intravenous stent. I don't know what a VP shunt is.
2. Don't know. I was in intensive care and slipping in and out of consciousness and not making very much sense of anything at the time. I did, though, have DVT's afterwards during my six months spell lying in bed after the operation.
3. No one at the time was able to anwer that question. I was moved from the hospital I had the operation at after three weeks and lost access to the surgeon. For these three weeks I was much more concerned with halluciations and not being able to move my left leg and arm than swelling which at that time I never noticed at all.
I was then moved to a general hospital for two months. Actually, I had a lot more contact with physiotherapists at that time and they were more concerned with activity. I think I assumed the swelling would just go away as I became more active.
At this point I was moved again to what was really an institution and I did then begin to start asking but no one seemed to have any answers, although they did start to treat me for it with warfarin in addition to the six or seven other medications I was been given at the time, the only one I can remember being epilim because I had been fitting while in intensive care. All these drugs made me permanently drowsy and not really very capable of clear thinking.

Sorry this is the best I can do to answer your questions. Since leaving hospital I have badgered doctors for more information over the years and I feel they been unsure or unwilling to give straight answers. My main concern over the next five years was walking reasonably well. It's only now that I am seriously trying to get to the bottom of this as my last remaining problem.

I do hope you can help with this.
Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
Thanks for respomse. I think stent was IVC filter whic was put to avoid migration of any thrombus form lower leg to chest. It was because you were seriouslly ill not able to walk properly which increases the risk of DVT.
Removal was filter is simple procedure . Access is gained from right femoral vein. There is already a hook in filter which is used to catch it. With the help of snare this hook is catched and retrived back. Rest of minor details are difficult to explain. But you can sure that it is a simple and easy procedure.
I think before retrieving it please ask for lower limb venous doppler study. It will rule out any thrombus in leg veins.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Had stent placed in stomach after a stroke and brain surgery. Reason for swelling on leg? 19 hours later
Hi doctor,

Sorry, I have just thought of another question. My filter was placed 15 years ago. Were they making removable filters at that time?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
It is quite difficult to comment on filters used in your case without previous medical records. As surgeons are planning to it means they have some idea about stent. If it is not removable stent then there is method to check whether it can be removed from vessel or not. It is done by injecting contrast. All doctors doing such procedures are well familiar to this. So no need to worry too much.