Had stapedectomy. Experiencing dizziness and tooth pain. Took benadryl. How to cure this?

ENT Specialist
My sons hd a stapedectomy five days ago, normal sensations, mild dizziness, some tooth pain (which I thought odd), amplification...Last night the 17 yo woke us at three am tellng us his pulse wa driving him crazy. He couldn't sleep, so we gave him two benadryl.....This am he says it feels as if armies and their war machines are grinding and marching through his ear.......How long will this continue. He's finding it very hard to concentrate.Would anything help?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding post operative dizziness and unwanted loud sounds (tinnitus) is observed by your son after 5 days of stapedectomy operation.

Considering your symptoms and co-relating with usual postoperative problems which are some times come in view, this is after effect, these types of symptoms usually subside after 2 to 3 weeks, and they are being treated only symptomatically.

Please advice your son to keep his head either straight or turn to opposite side when he lye down on bed, never keep operated side down as this may promote leakage of perilymph and aggravate the problem.

Jerky movements like jogging and jumping should not be done for a month.

Here no need for worry, if your son is still feeling uncofortable or there is loss of normal hearing than consult your operating surgeon.

wishing for quick recovery.