Had spotting and pain. 6 weeks gestation without heartbeat. Scan showed freq6.5mhz, dyn 62db and chromo 0. Miscarriage?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi i had to have an emergency scan yesterday as i was spotting with no pain i thought i was 8 weeks but the gestation measured 5.2mm 6 weeks but no heartbeat today i started to bleed with clots sporadically so they gave me another scan and pregnancy sac and baby were intact but still no heartbeat i didnt understand my scan so could you explain it to me please
b_gain 50
dyn 62db
ld high
chromo 0
srt h
am i having a miscarriage??
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

First, heart beat can be (not must be) noticeable in 6.week of pregnancy,but many times this cant be heard even in 8. up to 12. week. So you dont have to be concerned about this at this point.
Light spotting also can be seen in healthy pregnancies in first 3 months and this is usually sign of endometrial bleeding, not embryo abnormality.

All these parameters that you ve said are related to ultrasound settings and has nothing with your baby. It says only that there is fetal pole 5.2mm which is normal for 6.week of pregnancy.
So ultrasound at this time can only evaluate size, shape and is there pregnancy at all. You are pregnant for sure and size is alright so just repeat US in 1-2 weeks and there will probably be heartbeat. Try not to worry and think positively.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Had spotting and pain. 6 weeks gestation without heartbeat. Scan showed freq6.5mhz, dyn 62db and chromo 0. Miscarriage? 3 days later
hi i have had it confirmed i am having a miscarriage i ended up in a&e on sunday bacause of blood loss i lost alot of clots i had another scan on monday and the sac was still there i have since passed more clots and the bleeding has decreased by 60% i am still feeling period pain in my back like i would on my menzes is my miscarriage over now
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
It is hard to say.this pain and bleeding is something significant now,but miscarriage can be confirmed only by ultrasound scan. Also you should check hcg levels.if bleeding persists it may cause anaemia so if it becomes severe you should visit doctor and check red blood count.
that kind of pain can also be resulting from some other conditions such as endometriosis or ovarian cyst so complicated pregnancy isn't the only cause. But if bleeding is decreasing, I am sure that pain will too So I hope you will feel better soon. Regards