Had spot removed. Now biopsy done. Lesion looks like cancer. How serious is this?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi, I just had a spot removed and biopsyed from my back that my doctor said looked like cancer. I'm wondering how bad can this be? If it is cancer, will cutting it out take care of it or does this usually spread? I realize you don't have a chrystal ball, I'm just looking for information, Thanks, XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 9 minutes later
Dear ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The prognosis depends on the type of lesion. If it was a pigmented lesion, then it will probably be a malignant melanoma. This particular lesion would require some more treatment to see if nodes are involved are not and also regular follow up. Also in cases of malignant melanoma, they would do a metastatic work up to see if the cancer has spread to other areas or not.
If it was not a pigmented lesion, then it can be a squamous cell carcinoma or both of them have a better prognosis than malignant melanoma if proper surgery has been carried out.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.