Had sporadic pins and needles sensation on chest. EKG, echo/sono gram, stress chest on treadmill, all normal. What to do?

For the last couple of weeks I've had a sporadic pins & needles sensation in my left chest that seems to last for a few seconds and then goes away. It happens up to several times an hour when it's at it's XXXXXXX (once every few minutes lasting for a few seconds each time). I notice that the pins and needles seems to be a little more prevalent when I lean forwards. But it happens standing up and sitting upright as well. I had a FULL cardio checkup about 5 months ago including all the usual tests: EKG, echo/sono gram, stress chest on treadmill. All came back perfectly normal.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms can occur due to multiple reasons.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

You are having unusual symptoms (pins & needles sensation in left chest) and your routine cardio tests (EKG, echocardiography, stress test on treadmill) are normal. It means your symptoms are not due to cardiac illness.

When symptoms are on surface of body and no medical condition explain them, then they are called medically unexplained somatic symptoms (MUSS). Most common cause for MUSS is psychological.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy, which need to rule out in your case:
•     Anxiety disorder or other psychological issues: need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist. Anxiety can present with increase heart beat and excessive worries for health/family.
•      Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
•      Side effect of substance use specially alcohol and excessive caffeine (in tea, coffee and cold drinks)
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done
•     Neurological problems: Neuropathy, nerve compression or disease in spinal cord.
•     Combination of above causes.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.