Had spleen removed, doctor said diabetes out of control. But A1C could be wrong?

I had my spleen removed in 1988 and my doctor now has done an "A1C". My results are 6.3, and the doctor states my "diabetes" is out of control. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes and everything I have read states this is only pre-diabetes, but also, that the A1C is most like NOT accurate due to my NOT having a spleen.. Opinion???
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Diabetes
Follow-up: Had spleen removed, doctor said diabetes out of control. But A1C could be wrong? 5 minutes later
Also, in not having a spleen - would this make my A1C higher or lower than normal??

What preventive immunizations would you recommend annually or otherwise for a person without a spleen.
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 20 hours later

Glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1c) reflects average glucose in blood over last three months. Less than 6 is considered as normal. 6.3 is definitely headed towards diabetes, though currently it is pre-diabetes. More than 6.5 would need treatment.

Hba1c results are usually accurate, but not having spleen would affect the result slightly and readings might be a bit on higher side than usual.

I recommend you follow your doctor's dietary advice and exercise guidelines and keep checking blood glucose levels and Hba1c frequently. Currently you don't need medications for the same.

Regards to immunization recommended for a person with splenectomy are:

1. Haemophilus influenzae b vaccine - Once
2. Polyvalent pneumococcal vaccine - Every 3-5 years
3. Meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine - Every 3-5 years

Talk and discuss further about these vaccinations with your physician. You may get your vaccinated with these vaccines under their guidance.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.