Had spiral fracture midshaft humerus. Taking osteoporosis daily injections of Forteo. No healing. What are the other options?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
non union after 5 months then orif on midshaft humerus taking forteo and still no healing what are my options
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Option could be bone grafting.

Detailed Answer:

Now the options could be bone grafting, Infiltration of bone marrow aspirate at fracture site.

There is a feature to upload xray and reports. If you have X-ray films with you, please utilise this feature to upload the X-rays; I will be able to comment about this concern better.

Follow-up: Had spiral fracture midshaft humerus. Taking osteoporosis daily injections of Forteo. No healing. What are the other options? 13 hours later
Already had bone graft with O.R.I.F Broke in November and wore clam shell for 5 moths then had surgery with bone graft STILL no healing. upload as I don't have films but was able to view them and spoke to Dr.'s nurse and he said they don't know why. Have had all kinds of tests and there is no underlying metabolic issues. Want to see another surgeon as I a fed upbut don't know what to ask.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no harm to get another opinion.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your worry. Cause of non union in your case could be improper fixation, infection, inadequate bone grafting.
It is difficult to comment without examining and seeing the X XXXXXXX If you are not satisfied with your surgeon, there is no harm to get another opinion. If feasible, I suggest you to get X-rays before the surgery, after surgery and the current ones before you look for a second one. Those X-rays will help the second doctor comment better about what was wrong and the options to correct it now.

Hope this information suffices.